St Audrys

This sketch map is the only image of the House of Industry.
Aerial View of St Audry’s Hospital, circa 1950.

In 1756 a local Act of Parliament approved a House of Industry for the 31 of the 33 parishes of the Hundreds of Loes and Wilford. (Woodbridge and Framlingham opted out of the scheme.)

The House of Industry eventually opened, in 1765, at Melton on the site that eventually became St Audry’s.

When the workhouse closed in 1826 the County Magistrates purchased it and by 1829 the building had been converted and extended. It reopened as the Suffolk County Asylum “chiefly for the reception of pauper lunatics”.

The photograph of St Audrys was taken shortly before the site was transformed into a housing estate.
The Isolation Hospital in 1915.
A typical ward with multiple beds circa 1900.
A typical corridor circa 1900.
A day room in a female ward circa 1900.
The steam engine at the laundry.
The fire engine.

The water works at Melton which pumped water up to St Audrys.

Dr Whitwell the medical supervisor from 1896 to 1924 driving a smart car.