The Thoroughfare - Eastern Side

Looking up The Thoroughfare from the junction with Cumberland Street.
R H Rowland’s shop on The Thoroughfare was a modest affair but it was soon to expand into a department store.
R H Rowland’s and Sons department store on The Thoroughfare. After the Second World War the building was taken over by F W Woolworth. They closed in 2009. The building is now occupied by Lloyds the Chemists and Fat Face.
R H Rowland’s and Sons department store had a workshop behind the store.
This pre 1900 photograph shows Savill and Dent, Saddler and Harness Maker, which occupied a timber framed building.
By 1900 the timber famed building had been replaced by more impressive brick built building which was occupied by C Markwell – The Peoples Tailor and Outfitter.
This photograph shows much of the frontage of The Peoples Tailor and Outfitter.
The adjoining building is the Royal Oak Inn. It had a rear courtyard which was reached via wide entrance by the Loder Printer sign.

Only two photographs were two taken looking towards the junction of The Thoroughfare from the junction with Cumberland Street. The orientation of both of them is thus different from the others.

The entrance to the yard of the Royal Oak Inn is on the left hand side of this photograph.

Entering the yard of the Royal Oak Inn.

The Loder family had a long history being printers and book sellers. By 1830 John Loder II took over a shop on The Thoroughfare. At that time he is recorded as being a bookseller, stationer and printer. He was dealing in patent medicine, music and musical instruments. By 1871 he is listed bookseller, printer, bookbinder, commercial and fancy stationer, news agent and music seller.

John Loder II was very active in the life of Woodbridge. He was on the Woodbridge Urban District Council and was its Chairman from 1897 to 1901.

John Loder II became embroiled in a libel action in 1879 and had to pay £100 damages. He was such a respected and trusted townsman that the inhabitants of Woodbridge set up a fund to pay the damages but he felt that he could not accept the £250 eventually raised. Instead he used it to improve the town by having a channel dug to cut off the troublesome corner of the river by Kyson Point. An aerial photograph of this part of the river is shown on the right and the cut is marked by the white arrow. “Loder’s Cut” runs through an extensive area of saltings which are covered at high tide and it has been a blessing to yachtsmen ever since.

Smith’s butchers shop on The Thoroughfare was by the entrance to New Street.
Later photograph of Smith’s butchers shop.
In 1913 Notcutts opened a shop in 31 The Thoroughfare.
A later picture of Notcutt’s shop in 31.
Notcutt's shop in street with Union Jack flags
Tyson’s grocery store on The Thoroughfare was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Job Centre.

By 1840 there was a house and stone mason yard setback from the entrance to Sun Lane and there was a house and garden near to the entrance to Pytches Road.

Sometime later a larger house was built which was setback from the house and stone masons yard.

Eventually an imposing line of seven houses were built. These seven houses were set back from the road. Between the two sets of buildings the was a sizable drive way leading to a substantial house within large grounds.